2017 - Kid Glove Game Information Sheet
The first Kid Glove Game was played by the Cincinati Reds and Detroit Tigers at Crosley Field in 1949. The game receipts were $7,229. In 2016, The Kid Glove Program raised $400,000. Over $10 million dollars has been raised over our 67-year history.
All proceeds for the program go towards the purchase of baseball and softball equipment for the youth in the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area.
Highlights of the Program:
- 68 years of helping kids play baseball/softball
- Strictly a non-profit organization with no salaried personnel
- Over $400,000 raised in 2016 that purchased baseball and softball equipment for more than 40,000 boys and girls in the Tri-State area
- Co-sponsor the “Adapted Baseball League" (Special–needs Kids) for over 120 players - League is coordinated by the Cincinnati Recreation Commission
- Co-sponsor of the Cincinnati Reds’ Rookie Success League, coordinated by the Cincinnati Reds’ Community Fund (Inner-City program)
- Distributed more than 1,000 free tickets to charities in 2014 to allow many kids to see their first Major League Baseball game (Cost of nearly $10,000)
- Nearly $25,000 was given to various charities in 2015 in addition to the $300,000 in equipment purchased for kids
- Raised more than $10 million dollars since inception in 1949
The games are played through the generosity of the Cincinnati Reds, who have sponsored the program for the past 68 years. The Reds allow the Kid Glove program to print 40,000 ticket vouchers (8,000 for each of five individual games). The ticket voucher price for 2017 is $12.00 each and can be exchanged for a View Level Seat at Great American Ball Park.
Game dates for the 2017 Kid Glove games are:
- Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - Reds vs. Baltimore Orioles
- Monday, May 1, 2017 - Reds vs. Pittsburgh Pirates
- Tuesday, May 2, 2017 - Reds vs. Pittsburgh Pirates
- Monday May 22, 2017 - Reds vs. Cleveland Indians
- Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - Reds vs. Cleveland Indians
Teams and/or organizations receive $10.00 back for each ticket voucher sold in 2016 to purchase equipment for the following year. Ticket voucher price for 2017 is $12.00 per ticket voucher. $2.00 is retained by Kid Glove to pay the Cincinnati Reds $1.00 for every ticket voucher issued and the other $1.00 is retained by Kid Glove as an administrative fee. The equipment is normally ordered in August and is available for pick-up in January or February of the following year. For example, if a team and/or organization sells 100 ticket vouchers, that team/organization is then entitled to $1,000.00 back in equipment. Teams/organizations have the opportunity to order equipment directly from our program or order their equipment from a local sporting goods dealer. The Kid Glove program will issue a letter to the sporting goods dealer authorizing the purchase and have the sporting goods dealer directly bill the Kid Glove program. Many teams use this money to buy uniforms and even fix up their baseball fields.
In 2016, over 20 tons of equipment was purchased for the 2017 baseball season. All this equipment was distributed in January, 2017.
Among the items received for 2017 were the following:
- 3,000 dozen baseballs and softballs
- 7,000 additional baseball and softball equipment items
In addition to buying equipment, businesses and friends contribute every year to the Kid Glove Dugout Club which raises money to send special kids to the Reds' game. In many instances, this the first opportunity for these kids to see a Reds' game. We also co-sponsor the Miracle League (a league for "special kids") to play baseball. We also make a contribution to the Reds' Community Fund to co-sponsor an Inner City Baseball program.
For further information about the program or if you are interested in joining this great program, please contact the Executive Secretary, Paul Kramer at (859) 384-6195 or email Paul at:
email@example.com. (email notification is preferred).